Sunday, December 19, 2010

Get Ready Washington DC

Dear D.C.,

I will be entering your city in about three weeks. Seeing as we are not acquainted, I figured I should introduce myself.

First of all, I am from a hippie state with lots of trees. There is no humidity where I come from, so we may have issues. I will probably whine about the weather for the first several weeks, especially since I am coming in the dead of winter and you will likely be snowing on me. Snow is not my favorite. Please be nice to me and don’t snow more than you have to. Feel free to rain though, rain reminds me of home.

I have never lived in the city. I have only taken public transportation a few times, usually with large groups so I do not get lost—I get lost easily. For instance, today I went to the grocery store with my parents and went to put the cart back. I forgot where they parked and was lost. My mom peaked her head around from another car about 15 yards away and said, “Amanda are you lost.” Mom knows I am directionally challenged. So, if you see a blond girl wondering the streets in confusion or looking at the metro map intently trying to figure out whether to take the blue or yellow line, well that is probably me. I wanted to get chipped, like they do to dogs, but apparently you can’t do that to people.

D.C., it is likely you have not seen anyone with as much pink as I have. I have a lot of pink. I wear lots of pink. I smile and jump for joy when I see pretty pink or sparkly things. Why you ask? Pink is like the sunshine, I can’t help but be happy in its presence. Accept it. Appreciate it.

This will be my first time being so far away from home for so long. I live less than 30 minutes from my university. Mommy helps with laundry, takes care of me when I am sick (like when mono ruined my 21st birthday and the last month of school), and takes me out to coffee when I have a bad week. My friends are all close by. I know no one in your city. I will probably get homesick, I will probably be a nervous wreck some days, and with my luck I will accidently throw a red shirt in with my whites. Just be understanding, and don’t laugh to hard if I turn my white tank top pink.

D.C., I am excited for this adventure with you. I am ready for this change. A new place, a new chance, and a possibility to begin pursuing all my dreams. You are my opportunity and I am so thankful for that. I am also scared, like anxiously horrified. You are different, unfamiliar, and HUGE! You have all these people of power. You are the voice of America! I think I can dominate it though—I hope! And I know this will be a great semester, possibly the best. ;)

See you in 23 days!

Sincerely,

Amanda Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment