Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Traditions

In the spirit of Christmas! I thought I would share with you some family traditions that will live on forever in my heart. Some good old recipes. Also some fun decorations and activities my Mom always did. There are countless more, but these are some that stick with me. I love my family and my Mom's Christmas spirit that lives on through everything she does.

  1. Elfie- A present before Christmas that a little elf would leave me. It was always something small like a fairy trinket (I collect fairy things) or pajamas

  2. Our tree- it smells lovely and has a random mishmash of ornaments that tell our family history.

  3. Hokey Pokey Cake- Yes! My family makes Hokey Pokey Cake. We don’t dance or anything ridiculous like that. As a young child, I thought it was just fun to say “Hokey Pokey.” So I think that’s mostly why I liked it. But its an amazing white cake with Jell-o in it, red and green for the spirit of Christmas. It’s delicious!

  4. Stockings- This may be my favorite tradition of them all! Stockings were huge overstuffed and overflowing. I have had the same stocking since preschool. My mom put a pretty angel on it. Every morning, at the crack of dawn Nick would run into my room and say, “Amanda Kate it’s Christmas! Look Santa came! Oh my gosh Amanda look what you got!” And then we would grab the bulk of our stocking unable to carry all of its contents into my parents room and wake up our parents and show them all the cool things Santa brought. To this day my brother and I still love our stockings!

  5. Little people village- We don’t do it anymore, but we have one of those fabulous villages with all the little people and houses. I always set it up as a child. It was so much fun. I had my favorite houses, I loved the post office. And I made up stories about them.

  6. Sugar cookies- No, no these weren’t your ordinary sugar cookies. Half the dough was dyed red and occasionally we used some green. We pulled out the cookie cutters. But the best part was twisting the candy cane cookies. We did it by hand with plain dough and red dough making cute little candy canes. Of course we ate the dough along the way.

  7. Cinnabon Cinnamon Buns- Every Christmas we eat Cinnamon buns for breakfast with hot chocolate of course!

  8. Candle Light Service at the Presbyterian Church- It’s very traditional, but that’s why I like it. I love the organs and the Christmas story. It’s what Christmas is about Jesus. And I love that.

  9. Christmas Music- Of course, this is one of the best parts. It’s tried and true. Always the same, but new singers and renditions play on the radio station. The car station is set to Christmas music channel from December until Christmas day.

  10. White Christmas- It’s a classic of course and rarely does a year go by where we don’t watch Bing Crosby sing and dance about Christmas Day. It is so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment