Sunday, January 23, 2011

The beginning of a journey

I am finally in D.C. After months of preparation, I am finally in the heart of the Capitol. It was nerve-wracking leaving home to a place I had never been, but since my time on the plane to right this moment everything has finally fallen into place.

I only had moments to hug my parents goodbye and board the plane. I grabbed the window seat and on my flight I met two interesting individuals: A college student from my county heading to school in New Jersey, and a grandma of 23 grandchildren headed to her daughter in Virginia.

Then I arrived in D.C. I was honestly shocked I had made it with so few tears and with everything running so smoothly. Whenever I attempt to do something usually chaos ensues, but for some reason I arrived at one of my program director’s house without any problems.

The next day I arrived at the Dellenback Center and met my roommates: Jenny, Emily, Amy, and Katie. Jenny and Emily are part of the Washington Journalism Center program. Amy and Katie are in the American Studies Program. We did the basic introductions. The ones that are always awkward at first.

Although we bonded quickly due to an immediate catastrophe: a continuous overflowing toilet. It overflowed at least twice a day for the first few days. We even considered getting plumber licenses; Emily suggested we call ourselves the Pretty Preppy Plumbers. A suiting name seeing as our apartment is decorated with vintage butterfly and Paris decals.

So far, I have met and mingled with my peers, gone on scavenger hunt across the city, prayed with a homeless man, had hours of metro confusion, eaten far too much pizza, possibly found a home church at Capitol Hill Baptist Church, learned about the importance of vocation and calling, served at an afterschool center for young students, and discovered I love D.C.

This is a place where goals are accomplished. People work hard and people live hard lives.

Coming from suburban Portland, Ore. to D.C. had me in temporary shock. Not because of the change of scenery or the number of airline miles separating my parents and I, but because of my sudden confidence and comfort in the situation. I did not think I would follow through with this adventure. I usually get nervous and back out of any type of voluntary change. I fear uncertainty and spontaneity. While I love the concept of being spontaneous, it gives me anxiety. I was stunned it faded so quickly.

I have realized there is not much to fear here. The people in my program are a large variety of personalities. They all seem genuine here with the purpose of growth and learning. My apartment is substantial, and my neighborhood is conveniently located in the middle of two Metro stations.

The Metro system is not too confusing. It is color coded, maps are clear, and I actually almost feel like I know where I am going. The homeless are easy to talk to, like Bernard, who prayed with my scavenger hunt group when we got off at the Union Station. And the Starbucks and a family owned coffee shop across the street give me comfort and the caffeine I need to make it through each day.

Despite the cold, this is a place I could see myself. A place I am excited to become a temporary resident of. A place where I will be challenged and encouraged. A place where I can explore and discover more about myself, others, God, and the journalism industry.

Bring it on D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment