Friday, January 28, 2011

Challenged

I feel challenged more than ever. Coming in to D.C. I knew I would be challenged, have my moments of frustration, and learn a lot. Since I arrived here, I have stayed relatively calm. Today my brain feels like it may explode from information.

In the past week or so have classes we have discussed Christian’s role in media, particularly journalism. It is more controversial than I imagined. Some CCCU (Council of Christian Colleges and Universities) schools do not even let their students attend this program. They believe that there is no role for Christian’s in this industry.

WHAT? I disagree entirely.

Christian’s stay inside Christian industries because it is safe. I will not say being a Christian and being a reporter will come easy. I may have struggles with issues I have to report on. Since I am human and have biases, I will have to reach inside myself figure out what they are and how to avoid them in my work. That’s going to be a fierce obstacle. I think it is necessary though. How else will someone with a Christian worldview get out into the press?

A guest speaker arrived today, and discussed internships in the year past and what students have learned in years prior. It was refreshing and horrifying. I believe this process is going to humble me. It is going to push me out of my comfort zone. It is going to challenge me to write better, quicker, and flawlessly.

Three days to prepare and get ready for an internship. I am so grateful for this opportunity and the lessons I will learn. Simultaneously, I am a nervous wreck! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment